Successfully delivering projects in an increasingly competitive environment is a real challenge. At minimum a clear definition of the scope, clearly defined resources, strong commercial management, disciplined change control, strong leadership and first class client management are required. In addressing these, project managers must meet the needs of two masters; the client and consultancy business.
Balancing these different, and often conflicting needs, is a key theme of this session.
This session is distilled from training provided to Halcrow, Scott Wilson and Parsons Brinckerhoff, Network Rail, Transport for London and many others.
At the end of the course delegates will be able to:
- Clearly describe the importance of project managers’ role to the profitability and satisfaction of client needs
- Explain why and how to manage consulting project throughout the life cycle. Selling, Starting, Delivering and Closing. Specifically this will include effective implementation of the following project control processes
- Scope management and planning.
- Project management planning and scheduling.
- Risk management.
- Cost management including planning and forecasting using earned value.
- Control of changes.
- Issue management and communications.
- Manage a contract
- Demonstrate strategies for managing the client relationship and expectations within the constraints of a contract.
This course is 2 hours in duration.
Certification training is available in addition to this course as described above.
This course is aimed at anyone who is new to or planning to move in the engineering consulting project management.
Paul Naybour is passionate about the use of project management in engineering projects to engineering projects. He has a wealth of experience helping engineering consultancies to improve project management and has worked on both sides of the fence. He first love is Nuclear Power Stains and ne may end up taking a real jobs soon. For now he is Business Development Director at Parallel Project Training, co-author of “Your Journey to Professional Project Management, How to Pass the APMP a study guide” and host of the free APM Project Management Podcast channel on iTunes which has over 7000 download since its launch in January 2010
Down load slides here Essentials of Project Management for Consulting Engineers